Tuesday, February 4, 2014

In Which I Add To An Already Impressive List Of Places To Buy Anime & Manga

Anyone else trying to figure out which titles are on Konata's bed?
Have you seen Organization Anti-Social Geniuses' list of where you can buy anime/manga in 2014 yet? It's a really great list because it covers places both physical and online and isn't completely North America centered. And it mentions a shop I've been meaning to revisit, f.y.e., which I just assumed went out of business long ago. Whoops! Now I'm gonna add my own amendments to it, cause I can.



First of all, I should warn folks that Barnes & Nobles' brick and mortar stores are no longer a sure bet, as they keep shutting down shops across the country. I'm pretty sure I'm losing mine very soon since it doesn't get far enough business. So if you have one in your area, please support it!

"Give me all of these. And the shelves behind me."
Second, I'd like to add another physical shop for those in the area: Powell's, whose flagship shop is in Portland. Actually, Powell's is a great shop both in person and online, especially if you're like me and don't live in Oregon! I've had nothing but great experiences with them, even if they mess up an order, and their selection of manga is pretty diverse.

Also, they have a good selection of Japanese authors in stock and in English. I bought the Paprika novel from them! And it was on sale! So if you're looking for a Haruki Murakami novel that's been eluding you, Powell's probably has it.

As for online, you can't go wrong with eBay. I really only buy manga from eBay if the title/series is hideously out of print and expensive to buy otherwise. There are a lot of folks on eBay who sell their manga in bulk and sometimes the best deal is buying manga in bulk, not each volume individually. I scored so much Tokypop-published OOP Erica Sakurazawa manga that way! I would never buy new titles from eBay, FYI. There are enough shops that can sell me new unread copies of the latest titles, usually at a much better price than an eBay vendor can offer.

Again, thank you, OASG, for the great list! Already looking forward to the 2015 edition :3

No comments:

Post a Comment