This week on Fujoshi O'Clock - well, this being the final Fujoshi O'Clock of the year, I'd like to highlight some of my favorite titles that I've read over the past year. 2013 was a good year for reading yaoi! Hopefully, 2014 will bring even more quality BL titles in English for the fujoshi folk in North America, where BL publishers have been in a state of flux for the past couple of years.
The BL manga I read and reviewed in 2013:
- Entangled Circumstances by Kikoku Kikuya was my first BL review of 2013. It's a wonderful work place romance, albeit with issues.
- Manhattan Love Story by Momoko Tenzen was adorable, precious, and one of the few manga set in the United States that made sense.
- Color by Eiki Eiki and Taishi Zaou brought together two of my favorite BL manga-ka for a great story about romance and art and respects the struggles of LGBT folk in modern Japan.
- My Only King by Lily Hoshino may seem a controversial title - Hoshino is infamous for her feminine uke characters - but I loved this fun fantasy book with a BL twist.
- The second book of Seven Days by Venio Tachibana gave great emotional resolution to the Seven Days duology and capped the story off splendidly. Plus, awesome female characters for the win!
If you want more yaoi/BL reviews, the following blogs are very good at providing them: Otaku Champloo; the manga habit; Manga Worth Reading; The Beautiful World; Kuriosity; The Fandom Post; Brain Vs Book.
Am I missing your blog? Got some awesome fujoshi-related news and reviews you think deserve a shout-out? Poke me with a link and a bit of description over at my Twitter: @theseventhl. I'm always on the look out for more BL love! See you in the new year!